A closer look at the safest cities in Kentucky
For the purposes of this report, the terms “dangerous” and “safest” refer explicitly to crime rates as calculated from FBI crime data—no other characterization of any community is implied or intended.
- 113 Kentucky cities met the criteria for ranking this year, and 7 cities are appearing in the top 20 for the first time.
- Columbia rose 17 positions to land at number 4, whereas Flatwoods took the biggest nosedive, falling 11 positions to number 17.
- Pioneer Village, Prospect, Stanford, and Indian Hills reported 0 violent crimes.
- Kentucky’s 20 safest cities reported a total of 78 violent crimes and 639 property crimes.
- Flatwoods was the only safest city to report a murder (1).
- In total, Kentucky’s 20 safest cities reported more rapes than robberies.
- 4 cities on this year’s list reported 10 or fewer property crimes and 10 or fewer violent crimes—Pioneer Village, West Liberty, Providence, and Hartford.